Heartland Pro Bono appreciates pro bono services provided by its volunteers. It is therefore Heartland’s policy to provide limited reimbursement for actual reasonable out-of-pocket expenses when funds are available.
Heartland encourages its volunteers to use the lowest-cost service that meets the attorney’s and/or client’s needs, and to request that the services be donated or discounted when appropriate. A list of companies that provide free or discounted services to Heartland’s pro bono volunteers and their clients can be found below.
Costs eligible for reimbursement:
- Fees for service of process (including publication);
- Up to ½ of the program fee for a pro bono client to attend “Children Cope with Divorce” (only if the court refuses or is unable to waive fees);
- Actual expenses for copying and postage;
- Interpreter services;
- Fees to obtain copies of medical records;
- Fees paid to subpoenaed witnesses;
- Deposition transcripts;
- Expert witness fees; and
- Parking when attending a hearing or other court proceeding directly related to the pro bono case (up to $5.00/day).
Costs not eligible for reimbursement:
- Costs, fees, or expenses not directly related to a pro bono case referred by (or through) Heartland;
- Costs, fees, or expenses that are excessive or unreasonable;
- Attorney fees or compensation for the pro bono lawyer’s staff;
- Filing fees that could have been waived under IC 33-37-3-2(b);
- Costs or expenses that have been, or will be, waived, paid, or reimbursed by another party or program;
- Mileage, meals, or other travel expenses; and
- Expenses submitted without a receipt or other proof of payment.
Total reimbursement is limited to $250 per case. Reimbursement for individual costs and expenses may be less than the amount requested. Requests for reimbursement (with copies of supporting receipts) must be submitted via email to HeartlandPBC@gmail.com within thirty (30) days after the representation ends.
Any fees, costs, or expenses directly related to a pro bono case not addressed above will be considered for reimbursement on a case-by-case basis. Decisions regarding requests for reimbursement will be made by Heartland’s Plan Administrator in her sole discretion in a manner consistent with this policy.